Wednesday, March 17, 2010

“Of pasta and the Italian man”


“Ho fame!” Is the one thing that comes to mind after the bell rings at language school. Kala and I proceed to walk up Via Toledo toward the metro when I catch a glimpse of Courtney doing a lean (like the pimp that she is) against a lamp-post. So after figuring out that she was indeed waiting for us, we decided to eat lunch together. I’m thinking “ok, a nice cheep something at a tavolo caldo.” Well we decide to check-out a place across the street. So we stop, read the menu and before we have any chance to discus among ourselves, out pops the little man that most likely owns it. “Prego ragazza!” and some more words to get us in the place. So we’re like, ok, that’s fine we will just eat here. We walk in and he seats us in a very little nook in the front of the very little room that backs up to a very cute little cucina.
We all just looked at each other, unsure of what we had signed on for. I felt like I was in a home, not a restaurant. I could imagine having known the family for my whole life. Grandfather is the host and server. Grandma and the rest, down to grandson are in the kitchen cooking up pasta fagiolo (the special of the day) and any other pasta you want.

We waited a while and then suddenly “grandpa” appeared with the plate of antipasti that we where NOT expecting. It was some lovely bruschetta and fried bread. YumJ
I was now pretty excited about tasting my bowl of pasta fagiolo. It came out nice and hot with some fresh bread. This was the best pasta fagiolo ever! They kept asking us if we wanted carne or frutta or dolce, convinced that we needed more food than just two plates. We finally convinced them that it was plenty for us and eventually where allowed to pay and get on with the rest of our lives.

As we enjoyed our lunch I thought about what a great cultural experience this was. Where else would you be having a great meal, feeling surrounded by “family” and watching the workings of a family owned restaurant other than here in the heart of Italy?

It was a funny, fun experience that I hope I never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment