Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Well. It’s now our 10th week here in Napoli. We have officially graduated from the two week course in language school and are able to understand and communicate much more efficiently… but…. The only problem now is that I can no longer speak English!

Kala and I teach ESL to 5th graders three days a week and this last week I am pretty sure that I was not teaching English any longer. Rather I was teaching “Italiash”.
Misspelling the word “cloud” was bad, but the low point was when I was trying to tell the kids how to make the word “chicken” plural. I told them “ yes, you just add ‘s to the end. Chicken’s” Oops! Kala just said um.. No. and I just laughed.
Something happened to my brain over the last few weeks while I was stuffing it full of Italian, hearing Napolitano, teaching English and speaking a combination of all three.
It has been really confusing and fun! It gives me a good insight into what it is like being the foreigner in another country. And let me tell you, it’s not easy! So next time you meet someone who is trying to speak to you in English, but are clearly not a native speaker… be kind to them! Speak slowly, clearly and encourage them! It means a lotJ

P.S. If anyone wants to teach ME English… that would be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment